
I really wish I would have gone to my junior prom.
I was warned more than once, "One day you will wish you would have gone." but of course, I didn't believe it anyway. So...I really wish I would have gone to my junior prom.
As I sit here at my computer and look down at my 25 year old fingers, that were once 18 year old fingers and before that were 5 year old fingers, I have found myself at a place in my life that seems overwhelmingly amazing yet frightening at the same time. I look back at my 25 years and realize (as most do) a string of regrets that seems to stretch forever. The "I wish I would haves" and the "Why didn't I's" never stop...until now.
I'm sitting at my cubicle, crowned by a canopy of florescent office lights and can quietly hear the tap-tapping of keyboards around me. Small cups of thumb tacs, staples, and ink pens adorn my desk. Over to my right I placed a book titled, "Insprirational Quotes" hoping that it would provide me with the peace that I am in need of. The vent above is blowing cold air directly on my back, although it is only April and 70 degrees outside. I never understood why offices were so cold. Everything in this office is either gray, light gray, dark gray, or black...just an overall wish wash of neutrality.
So here are these hands in front of me. My own two hands that have, during my lifetime, held onto my Mom, covered my mouth when I laughed as a child, did cartwheels in the summer grass, dug holes in the dirt, wiped my tears away, hit my brother when we were little. Here are my own two hands that have done a million pages of homework, sewed buttons on my shirts, held my little sister when she was born, played with worms in the backyard when I was little, made darn good apple pies, and planted my own garden. As I stare down, I've realized that these hands have tightly held a plane ticket to Europe, have collected sea shells in the sand, have wrote many frilly love letters and a couple of hate letters as well. It's funny when you look at your own body and realize where it has been and how it has grown.
So as I have observed my hands and where they have been and what they have done in my lifetime...I think about what amazing things I am capable of...what amazing things that perhaps my hands were made to do. So with that said, I feel that after twenty five years, I am ready to fall backwards with my eyes closed and live without regrets. The definition of regret is: To feel sadness about something, or feel a sense of loss and longing for somebody or something that is no longer there. The feeling of sadness is the realization that you cannot go back and change what has already been done. Therefore, I will start now after twenty five years to live without regrets.
I was warned more than once, "One day you will wish you would have gone." but of course, I didn't believe it anyway. So...I really wish I would have gone to my junior prom.
As I sit here at my computer and look down at my 25 year old fingers, that were once 18 year old fingers and before that were 5 year old fingers, I have found myself at a place in my life that seems overwhelmingly amazing yet frightening at the same time. I look back at my 25 years and realize (as most do) a string of regrets that seems to stretch forever. The "I wish I would haves" and the "Why didn't I's" never stop...until now.
I'm sitting at my cubicle, crowned by a canopy of florescent office lights and can quietly hear the tap-tapping of keyboards around me. Small cups of thumb tacs, staples, and ink pens adorn my desk. Over to my right I placed a book titled, "Insprirational Quotes" hoping that it would provide me with the peace that I am in need of. The vent above is blowing cold air directly on my back, although it is only April and 70 degrees outside. I never understood why offices were so cold. Everything in this office is either gray, light gray, dark gray, or black...just an overall wish wash of neutrality.
So here are these hands in front of me. My own two hands that have, during my lifetime, held onto my Mom, covered my mouth when I laughed as a child, did cartwheels in the summer grass, dug holes in the dirt, wiped my tears away, hit my brother when we were little. Here are my own two hands that have done a million pages of homework, sewed buttons on my shirts, held my little sister when she was born, played with worms in the backyard when I was little, made darn good apple pies, and planted my own garden. As I stare down, I've realized that these hands have tightly held a plane ticket to Europe, have collected sea shells in the sand, have wrote many frilly love letters and a couple of hate letters as well. It's funny when you look at your own body and realize where it has been and how it has grown.
So as I have observed my hands and where they have been and what they have done in my lifetime...I think about what amazing things I am capable of...what amazing things that perhaps my hands were made to do. So with that said, I feel that after twenty five years, I am ready to fall backwards with my eyes closed and live without regrets. The definition of regret is: To feel sadness about something, or feel a sense of loss and longing for somebody or something that is no longer there. The feeling of sadness is the realization that you cannot go back and change what has already been done. Therefore, I will start now after twenty five years to live without regrets.

No comments:
Post a Comment